Accessible Page Links

Page Tools

Main page Content

Speech therapist


​Speech-Language Therapy Services in State Schools

Speech-language pathologists are employed by The Department of Education and Training (DET) to provide therapy services to students enrolled in State Schools and Early Childhood Development Programs. These services are delivered as part of the educational program and are directed towards educational outcomes.

Speech–language therapy services support students’ educational outcomes by focusing on the essential foundation areas of oral language, speech, voice, fluency and oro-motor functioning, where these impact on learning, particularly for those students with complex needs in communication.

Speech–language pathologists in the Department work as part of the educational team to maximise students’ access, participation and achievement of competencies in interpersonal communication, literacy, numeracy and key learning areas.


Who is our Speech-Language Pathologist?


This is the 10th year we have been fortunate enough to have Cindy Apap as our “Speechie”. Cindy is the Clinical Senior Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) in the South East Region. She held the position of Speech Language Pathologist In-Charge in our Region during 2009 and 2010 and also acted in the Speech-Language Therapy Advisor role in 2009 at Disabilities Services Support Unit. She has been working as a speech-language pathologist for the last 22 years in a variety of settings including primary schools, secondary schools, special schools, hospitals and private practice. Cindy has an ongoing commitment to our school and students and her daughter is one of our alumni. Cindy typically attends our school on Wednesdays and Thursdays.


How do I access Speech-Language Therapy Services at Caningeraba State School?


Our school follows the South East Regional Prioritisation process for SLT services in state schools which is well-defined and strives to provide a fair and equitable service to students with significant needs in communication. If you feel your child may require speech-language therapy services, please discuss this with your child’s teacher. Referrals are typically made via your child’s classroom teacher.